Ab Minor 7th Piano Chord
The Notes in an Ab Minor 7th Chord
The root is the bottom note of the chord, the starting point to which the other notes relate. The root of an Ab Minor 7th chord is Ab.
The Min 3rd
The minor third of an Ab Minor 7th chord is Cb. The minor third is up three half-steps from the Root.
Finding Cb from Ab step by step:
- Start on: Ab
- Step 1: move up to A
- Step 2: move up to Bb
- Step 3: Land on Cb
- A is a minor second above Ab.
- Bb is a major 2nd above Ab.
- Cb is a minor third above Ab.
The Min 7th
The minor seventh of an Ab Minor 7th chord is Gb. The minor seventh is down two half-steps from the Root.
Finding Gb from Ab step by step:
- Start on: Ab
- Step 1: move down to G
- Step 2: Land on Gb
- G is a minor second below Ab.
- Gb is a major 2nd below Ab. The min 7th is down a major 2nd? Confusing, right? The note Gb is down 2 half-steps from Ab, but up 10 half-steps from Ab:
The Inversions of Ab Minor 7th
How to find Ab Minor 7th with my three-finger-method
This is the method taught in my book "How to Speed Read Piano Chord Symbols"
Step 1) Use the Fourth
Find the Root and the Fourth up from the Root. (See my tutorial on finding fourths).
Step 2) Move the right hand down
Move both fingers in right hand a whole-step down (two keys to the left on the piano). (A half-step is the next key.)
How to Find 7th Chords with Nate's Three Finger Method
- Major 7th chords: bring both fingers down a half-step
- Minor 7th chords: bring both fingers down a whole-step
- Dominant 7th chords: bring the Root down a whole-step, the fourth down a half-step
- Diminished 7th chords: bring the Root down a minor third, the fourth down a whole-step
If you would like to learn more about my method, pick up "How to Speed Read Piano Chord Symbols".