Bb Minor 7th Piano Chord
The Notes in a Bb Minor 7th Chord
This is one is easy. All you have to do to find the root of a chord is look at the name of the chord. It's the first part of the name! If it's a Bb Minor 7th chord, the root is Bb!
The Min 3rd
The minor third of a Bb Minor 7th chord is Db. The minor third is up three half-steps from the Root.
Finding Db from Bb step by step:
- Start on: Bb
- Step 1: move up to B
- Step 2: move up to C
- Step 3: Land on Db
- B is a minor second above Bb.
- C is a major 2nd above Bb.
- Db is a minor third above Bb.
The Min 7th
The minor seventh of a Bb Minor 7th chord is Ab. The minor seventh is down two half-steps from the Root.
Finding Ab from Bb step by step:
- Start on: Bb
- Step 1: move down to A
- Step 2: Land on Ab
- A is a minor second below Bb.
- Ab is a major 2nd below Bb. The min 7th is down a major 2nd? Confusing, right? The note Ab is down 2 half-steps from Bb, but up 10 half-steps from Bb:
The Inversions of Bb Minor 7th
How to find Bb Minor 7th with my three-finger-method
This is the method taught in my book "How to Speed Read Piano Chord Symbols"
Step 1) Use the Fourth
Find the Root and the Fourth up from the Root. (See my tutorial on finding fourths).
Step 2) Move the right hand down
Move both fingers in right hand a whole-step down (two keys to the left on the piano). (A half-step is the next key.)
How to Find 7th Chords with Nate's Three Finger Method
- Major 7th chords: bring both fingers down a half-step
- Minor 7th chords: bring both fingers down a whole-step
- Dominant 7th chords: bring the Root down a whole-step, the fourth down a half-step
- Diminished 7th chords: bring the Root down a minor third, the fourth down a whole-step
If you would like to learn more about my method, pick up "How to Speed Read Piano Chord Symbols".