Eb Minor 7th Piano Chord
The Notes in an Eb Minor 7th Chord
The root of the chord is always the easiest to find because it's in the name of the chord! The root of an Eb Minor 7th chord is Eb.
The Min 3rd
The minor third of an Eb Minor 7th chord is Gb. The minor third is up three half-steps from the Root.
Finding Gb from Eb step by step:
- Start on: Eb
- Step 1: move up to E
- Step 2: move up to F
- Step 3: Land on Gb
- E is a minor second above Eb.
- F is a major 2nd above Eb.
- Gb is a minor third above Eb.
The Min 7th
The minor seventh of an Eb Minor 7th chord is Db. The minor seventh is down two half-steps from the Root.
Finding Db from Eb step by step:
- Start on: Eb
- Step 1: move down to D
- Step 2: Land on Db
- D is a minor second below Eb.
- Db is a major 2nd below Eb. The min 7th is down a major 2nd? Confusing, right? The note Db is down 2 half-steps from Eb, but up 10 half-steps from Eb:
The Inversions of Eb Minor 7th
How to find Eb Minor 7th with my three-finger-method
This is the method taught in my book "How to Speed Read Piano Chord Symbols"
Step 1) Use the Fourth
Find the Root and the Fourth up from the Root. (See my tutorial on finding fourths).
Step 2) Move the right hand down
Move both fingers in right hand a whole-step down (two keys to the left on the piano). (A half-step is the next key.)
How to Find 7th Chords with Nate's Three Finger Method
- Major 7th chords: bring both fingers down a half-step
- Minor 7th chords: bring both fingers down a whole-step
- Dominant 7th chords: bring the Root down a whole-step, the fourth down a half-step
- Diminished 7th chords: bring the Root down a minor third, the fourth down a whole-step
If you would like to learn more about my method, pick up "How to Speed Read Piano Chord Symbols".