Gb Minor 7th Piano Chord
The Notes in a Gb Minor 7th Chord
This is one is easy. All you have to do to find the root of a chord is look at the name of the chord. It's the first part of the name! If it's a Gb Minor 7th chord, the root is Gb!
The Min 3rd
The minor third of a Gb Minor 7th chord is A. The minor third is up three half-steps from the Root.
Finding A from Gb step by step:
- Start on: Gb
- Step 1: move up to G
- Step 2: move up to Ab
- Step 3: Land on A
- G is a minor second above Gb.
- Ab is a major 2nd above Gb.
- A is a minor third above Gb.
The Min 7th
The minor seventh of a Gb Minor 7th chord is Fb. The minor seventh is down two half-steps from the Root.
Finding Fb from Gb step by step:
- Start on: Gb
- Step 1: move down to F
- Step 2: Land on Fb
- F is a minor second below Gb.
- Fb is a major 2nd below Gb. The min 7th is down a major 2nd? Confusing, right? The note Fb is down 2 half-steps from Gb, but up 10 half-steps from Gb:
The Inversions of Gb Minor 7th
How to find Gb Minor 7th with my three-finger-method
This is the method taught in my book "How to Speed Read Piano Chord Symbols"
Step 1) Use the Fourth
Find the Root and the Fourth up from the Root. (See my tutorial on finding fourths).
Step 2) Move the right hand down
Move both fingers in right hand a whole-step down (two keys to the left on the piano). (A half-step is the next key.)
How to Find 7th Chords with Nate's Three Finger Method
- Major 7th chords: bring both fingers down a half-step
- Minor 7th chords: bring both fingers down a whole-step
- Dominant 7th chords: bring the Root down a whole-step, the fourth down a half-step
- Diminished 7th chords: bring the Root down a minor third, the fourth down a whole-step
If you would like to learn more about my method, pick up "How to Speed Read Piano Chord Symbols".